The current RPC wire format is asymetric, meaning that the same object
going to the server will look different than coming from the server.
There also isn't really a published spec for the RPC wire format as it
tends to change from version to version of GWT.

In GWT, this is not an issue because the GWT compiler generates the
code required to convert to and from the wire format, so the wire
format could be wildly different from one version to another with no
change in your source code.

Does this mean that you can't create a non-gwt client? no ... but it
certainly does make your job a little more difficult.

-jason