@Frank: you are absolutely right, but it's difficult to generalize this, as
it highly depends on your situation.

I have seen hello-world kind of code that was very easy to understand, but
also very complex, but very clean code to meet a lot of financial
(security) requirement, or code with many visitor patterns to be able to
handle different kind of products (subclasses). In these latter cases, it
can cost you a lot of time to understand, even when it's very clean and
good coding....... Often analyzing the code cost more then making the
change... (according to statistics: solving bug consists 70% of code/issue
analyzing).