Thanks Frank Hossfeld and Jens for responding!

@Frank Hossfeld
Re.  «GWT 2.10.0 dropped the support for ie8, ie9 & ie10 which will also cause
problems.»
I had indeed encountered that issue already very early while migrating our
application from GWT2.7 to GWT2.10 and had fixed it by providing an own copy of
the file
Core.gwt.xml (The orignal is in gxt-4.0.2.jar in folder com/sencha/gxt/core/)

in which I had replaced the header line

<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Google Inc.//DTD Google Web Toolkit 2.7.0//EN"
    "http://gwtproject.org/doctype/2.7.0/gwt-module.dtd";>
with this:
<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Google Inc.//DTD Google Web Toolkit 2.10.0//EN"
    "http://gwtproject.org/doctype/2.10.0/gwt-module.dtd";>

And I also commented away this section oft the file:

  <!-- Restrict the permutation explosion -->
<!--
  <set-property name="user.agent" value="ie8">
    <when-property-is name="gxt.user.agent" value="ie8" />
  </set-property>
  <set-property name="user.agent" value="ie9">
    <when-property-is name="gxt.user.agent" value="ie9" />
  </set-property>
  <set-property name="user.agent" value="ie10">
    <when-property-is name="gxt.user.agent" value="ie10" />
  </set-property>
-->

I had placed that modified file into our project’s
<web_module>\src\main\resources\com\sencha\gxt\core\Core.gwt.xml and for the
compilation we are specifying user agent «safari» now (even though we are
actually using Chrome and Edge as browsers). These changes had gotten me going
and seem to work.

@Jens
Meanwhile I was able to get the thing compiling and working.

In one of our UIs my predecessors had defined some fields of a form as
«LabelProvider» (i.e. as interface only).
I replaced those occurences with the concrete classes of the resp. fields (i.e.
I made several fields into «IntegerLabelProvider» and one into a
«StringLabelProvider») and that fixed the issue.
I didn’t know about those mapping or «rebind»-rules. I guess I still haven’t
really encountered nor understood some of GWT’s «magic» but the mentioned
changes got the compile error to disappear and got me going. But thanks of
making me aware oft hat rebind mechanism! I’ll try to find some description and
understand that better.

Re. the «-[no]failOnError»-option of code-server. I had indeed tried that and
it didn’t change anything, i.e. it did not prevent the compilation from
failing. Only the changes mentioned above then got me going here.

Cheers and thanks,
Michael