Agreed.  Some of the GWT Canvas work make some of this easier, but
over all, Javascript in a browser (which is what GWT is after all!)
isn't your best choice.  Flash (which they used) or an applet (java or
whatever Microsoft is calling an activex control these days...) would
make your life easier.

My .02 USD......good luck!

Later,

Shaffer