mikedshaffer schrieb:
> Agreed.  Some of the GWT Canvas work make some of this easier, but
> over all, Javascript in a browser (which is what GWT is after all!)
> isn't your best choice.

The rendering itself shouldn't be much of a problem. Since
http://www.zark.com/ which already worked on Netscape 2 (yes,
the old stuff, not Firefox or Mozilla) I think you can do more
or less everything, even something like the stack-application
he linked in his OP.

The biggest problem I see with the fact, that incoming data
leads to an immediate rendering of a part of the page. So if
two diggs are happening this lead to two "drops" tearing down
at the same time, so you need something "Comet"-like that allows
a push from the server to the client and a busy-wait-loop that
renders the different drops step by step, changing CSS-properties
for the fade-in/fade-out effect of the links that are shown
below (the latter is already available with third-party).

The busy-wait solution is what makes me suspicious that GWT
is the right choice for that. With Flash or Java or whatever
the implementation is easy. As soon a new entry has been
received from the server a Thread is fired up that handles
the fade-in/-out and tearing down of the drop. As soon as the
rendering of that drop is finished, the Thread dies.

In a singlethreaded environment you have to keep an array of
currently to be rendered elements with their current rendering
states (e.g. element 1 has teared down 25% of the distance,
element 2 30% etc.). The busy waiting loop checks that array
for elements to be rendered and renders the next nessecary
step for each element. I'm quite sure that you don't need to
worry about you coffee getting cold if you place your cup
next to the heat-sink of your computer ;-)

>  Flash (which they used) or an applet (java or
> whatever Microsoft is calling an activex control these days...) would
> make your life easier.

Agreed

Regards, Lothar