sun did bad job when it comes to browser side java. Microsoft's
strategies, and there dislike towards sun made sure that applets never
succeeded(remember ie has and had the largest browser market share).
However if some one has to be blamed, I think it is Sun's vision and
Engineering. In my opinion, Sun engineering failed to:
- Move out of the fixed mindset of "jre based browser plugin" and
think differently
- Visualize something like gwt is possible
- Learn lessons from the popularity of flash plugin.
- get rid of the ugly gray screen and refresh issues.
- Make applets light weight like flash.

I still think that it is not too late for sun to change its course.
They should drop the concept of applet and launch the concept called
"client side java". "Client side java" should compile into various
targets like javascript, swf, silverlight to name few. This way java
users would write browser/client based apps and run them everywhere...
In one sense this is the true defn of java! Sun should get away from
the notion of java to bytecode. Instead they should develop the notion
of java to anything! You will write code in java and run it anywhere,
literally! One simple bridge of java to swf would change the applet
world...

just my 2c...