>>Weak reference (Weak listener in SWT/Swing) that isn't supported
>>in javascript, but does in javaFX (java).
You can simulate this in gwt.
About speed and performance: Remember js runs inside the browser. It
is completely at the mercy of browser(unlike applets). You should see
the js engine improvements in firefox 3.1 and chrome. They are
ultrafast for js. Js differs from pure java in the sense that it is
single threaded. However this will change in coming years. We recently
developed a sizeably big application using gwt over the past 1.5
years. I can tell you that without any code for freeing/releasing/
cleaning up objects etc, we had pretty good performance...

If I am working with browsers, my first choice will be browser dom and
not plugins! GWT makes so much sense with that aspect... As I said
earlier, google should submit the gwt as a jsr in jcp. Or sun enggs
should rethink for client side java. Again, translating java into js
or any other code that runs on client would be better than forcing the
jvm/bytecode approach. And I say this after writing my first ever web
based program as java applet and not jsp/aps/servlet or cgi script.