The app server is the one bundled with GWT hosted mode, I believe it's
Jetty.  If you use a servlet that has 1.5 stuff in it, it works fine.
When I was investigating, I noticed that the JSP does successfully
produce a servlet.  I copied this servlet and compiled it myself and
it worked fine, even in hosted mode.  I believe it's failing at the
point where the generated servlet (.java) is being compiled into a
class (.class).  Like you said, it seems like for some reason it's
targeting version 1.4 or something like that.