The app server is the one bundled with GWT hosted mode, I believe it's
Jetty.  If you use a servlet that has 1.5 stuff in it, it works fine.
When I was investigating, I noticed that the JSP does successfully
produce a servlet.  I copied this servlet and compiled it myself and
it worked fine, even in hosted mode.  I believe it's failing at the
point where the generated servlet (.java) is being compiled into a
class (.class).  Like you said, it seems like for some reason it's
targeting version 1.4 or something like that.  It's confusing though
that the problem is during compilation, because if you start with a
servlet (rather than a JSP) it compiles with no problem.

I have a feeling this might have something to do with it:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/detail?r=5109

It appears that something different happens underneath when a servlet
is compiled as opposed to when a servlet generated by a JSP is
compiled.