On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Bobby wrote:

> I realize that your getConstant approach has an initialization
> overhead but i'm going to overlook that so that i can get the
> generated library to a point where i can test it and then come back
> and revisit this. This will be more complex because the GData JS
> implementation allows "namespaces" to be loaded dynamically as needed.

Given that the protocol is clearly defined and documented, I wonder if
a "pure GWT" implementation wouldn't be better...
Well, eventually, that could be your "v2.0" ;-)

> On the return type of the JS methods that receive callbacks, most
> likely these methods return void, i think that's just the way the
> JSDocs display - otherwise they would have to display that as
> void updateEntry(<google.gdata.Entry function(Object)> continuation,
> <google.gdata.Entry function(Error)> opt_errorHandler).

Er, you probably mean void updateEntry(<void
function(google.gdata.Entry)> continuation, <void function(Error)>
opt_errorHandler)

> This type of ambiguity is why an 100% auto-generate is not going to
> happen - in addition to this there are a couple of classes missing
> from the JS Docs (i'll just fill those in from the GData Java docs).

Well, I don't know what you're generating from, but it could be as
easy as "if the method takes 2 arguments of type function, the second
one taking an Error argument, then convert them to an AsyncCallback<T>
where T is the method's documented return type, and make the method
actually have a void return type".

> I like the idea of using an intermediate class to handle the
> callbacks, i think you mentioned this in your original reply and i
> missed it.

Hmm, not quite sure what you're talking about...

> If you're interested, and since you already put some time here i can
> add you as a member of this project:
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-gwt-client/
> This way you get some credit.

I'd rather wait to see some code ;-)
(and I have so many projects yet that I don't have time to update...)

> This is a key library for GWT in my
> opinion and it's missing - Google says they don't have plans to do
> this right now so it's a good opportunity.

Probably because they'd rather do it in GWT than as a GWT wrapper
around the JS API, which is a bit more work probably...
(and they'd have to have time to maintain it, etc.)

Anyway, good luck ;-)

--
Thomas Broyer