I just came across some interesting docs, this one in particular
covers almost all the questions i had in my original post (lots of
TBDs though):
http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=gwt-google-apis&s=gwt-google-apis&t=DesigningAPIWrappers

Also, check out what's underneath the "large efforts" heading in the
wishlist page:
http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=gwt-google-apis&s=gwt-google-apis&t=WishList

That's right, and here i am going it alone, you ought to be
ashamed. :)

Bobby