Hi Jon and Juraj,

Thanks for your suggestions.

@Jon
I am using eclipse and jetty. Can you also use the front end in web
mode apart from hosted mode? I am getting the same exception when I
try with the -noserver option.
The reason I would like web mode is because of Firebug so I can see
what's actually going on in the browser (and tweak the css for
example). BTW Out of Process Hosted Mode
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHM
will probably solve the problem for me.

@Juraj
Yes, that looks like the easiest workaround.

Backtracking to the root of the problem:
I am still interested in a solution i.s.o. a workaround. I mean,
shouldn't web mode and hosted mode be working side by side out of the
box?
I am also wondering why my problem is not occurring more often (found
just 1 thread with a similar error but this was with the -noserver
option
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/aa3a8d942e493c26).
I would guess the use case of using hosted mode and web mode side by
side is pretty common. Maybe there's something particular about my
project setup although I can't think of anything except maybe that I
am using linux/ubuntu iso windows.

Rintcius