I solved the issue. This happened because I am using a different
module for development to speed up compilation in web mode. Something
like this:
<module rename-to='myModule'>
  <inherits name='my.company.gwt.MyModule'/>
  <set-property name="user.agent" value="gecko" />
  <set-property name="locale" value="default" />
</module>

The problem was that in hosted mode I was still using the original
module which lead to the exception I mentioned in the first post of
this thread. Once I started hosted mode with this development module
i.s.o. the original module the problem was resolved and I can now
happily run hosted mode and web mode side by side.

Rintcius