I don't know if this is the same problem, but I have to define my
service as (for example):

MyService.java:

@RemoteServiceRelativePath("rpc")
public interface MyService extends RemoteService { }

web.xml:

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>rpc</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>mypackage.Myservice</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>rpc</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/rpc</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>rpc</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/myapplication/rpc</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Without any of the above, it either doesn't work in Hosted mode, or in
Web mode.
I'm on Linux too.

J.