Vegard, could you make it work?

I faced the same issue, and now it's working.
These are what I did:

1. Create public folder in where *.gwt.xml file of your project
resides.
Let's say it's GwtTreeTest\src\com\gwt\experiment\public
2. Create .css file with background style rule in that public folder
So, create GwtTreeTest\src\com\gwt\experiment\public
\GwtTreeTestCss.css, and put the following settings in it:
.gwt-Tree .gwt-TreeItem-selected {
        background:#DDFFFF;
}
3. Add the style element (which points the .css file your created at
the above step with src attribute) into the .gwt.xml file
In GwtTreeTest\src\com\gwt\experiment\GwtTreeTest.gwt.xml
<stylesheet src="GoogleNewsExperiment1CSS.css" />
4. Close and restart host mode.

Hope those steps help.