Another solution, without setting HTML and Body width and height could
be using a table.
If you create a table with width and height in 100% and only one cell,
any widget you put inside this cell can be resized in width and
height.... try this one:

                FlexTable layout = new FlexTable();

                layout.setWidth("100%");
                layout.setHeight("100%");

                layout.setWidget(0, 0, w);

                RootPanel.get().clear();
                RootPanel.get().add(layout);

I don't know well why this works, but works.

[]s