I also had some issues getting it to run in hosted mode the first few
times.  I had to issue a mvn clean package (or was it clean install?)
and I still had to manually copy the conf/config.properties (or
whatever it was) to the /war directory.

Then I was able to select the main project (the parent) and right
click->run as gwt

Its definitely not ready out-of-the-box, but it is possible.

For that rt.jar access restriction, go into the build path and remove
the JRE that's listed there, then re-add it.  I also had this problem,
but I assumed it was because I was messing around with the default JRE
settings.