which maven gwt plugin are you using -- is it the  codehaus gwt plugin?

to be honest, this sounds like it is not so much a gwt thing as it is a
hibernate/spring thing.

i've used hibernate/spring a lot with jpa, and never had to specify a weaver
via an extra JVM argument.  it seems a bit odd.  i'm not trying to dodge the
question, but typically i solve these issues with google searches.
 something in your project setup is not right -- narrow it down.