Well, I am using Toplink, not hibernate... I did finally figure out my
problem. Since Marco's blog is what helped point me in the right
direction, I posted the complete explanation there:

http://codetrips.blogspot.com/2009/05/gwt-spring-and-jpa-not-really-friendly.html

See the comments to that blog.

Thanks,
Yaakov.

P.S. I would disagree though that my post has nothing to do with GWT.
The whole thing started only because of how GWT Eclipse plugin is (is
not?) working. As you'll see from my comment to that blog, it's GWT
Eclipse plugin that was part of the problem.