I've seen re-read the modules description and figured out what I
needed to do, at least in Eclipse, and then to use the default names
GWT recognizes.

In the project root where your gwt.xml file is, you should have a
'client' folder where your client code goes that will be converted to
javascript, a 'server' folder where you server-side Java code goes,
and a 'public' folder (which I didn't have before) where you can put
the CSS referenced in your gwt.xml file without the leading /.  Now
when I do a GWT Compile, the css files in my public folder are copied
into the war's module folder where it will automatically look for it,
so it no longer needs to be in the HTML host document.

Hope that helps you, too.