Yes, Maven can be complex, but if your project has a clear structure, it can
be very powerful.

Another option, I haven't tried yet, could be Gradle. It is a build tool,
that uses Groovy for writing build scripts. The benefit is, that it's based
on Ant and Ivy, so it allows you to use all the Ant stuff around.

Regards
Jan Ehrhardt