@Jeff,

If you went with "straight-up GWT" what did you do for all the various
widgets that otherwise seem powerful and useful?

For example, what are your replacements for:

1) Paging grid/tables for showing lists of objects/data that users can then
click on to view/edit in detail for typical CRUD operations?  I found
PagingScrollTable to be a lot of work for a simple object (though I suppose
I can just clone after I've built that one), and now it gives lots of
warnings under GWT 2.0, and it sounds like they are re-architecting it now
so no doubt the future holds something brighter, but perhaps entirely new
and not really compatible.

2) Popup windows with title and close buttons in the "top area that you
click on to drag around"?  I've used DialogBox, and it doesn't allow for
even a simple close button to appear in the title bar.

3) Drag and drop items from one list to another list, such as when
configuring objects that need to select multiple items from a defined list
of pre-built items (like adding features or permissions or users from one
list so it can be assigned to another object for use/reference).

Your approach surely has the most appeal, but wonder how much you had to
write instead of getting a widget toolkit.  At the same time, I prefer not
to use a distinct widget toolkit because it just seems to add another layer
that perhaps will be slowly made less significant as GWT matures, and they
all seem to have licensing issues.

I am checking with Ext now on their definition of "developer" to see if the
complaints are still real or whether they are holdovers from earlier.  GPL
is fine for our open source product, but we also expect to do commercial
licensing, and then it gets complicated if we're somehow held to a standard
that all users are developers and must have a Ext GWT license.  I am fine to
pay for our developers who write our UI and use their library, but it gets
murky with their "indirect developer" language that is not defined anywhere
and the license itself doesn't even mention it.

As for SmartGWT, their LGPL product looks great and would pose no issue, but
if you want their more advanced stuff for server-side code, you'd need to go
commercial, which itself is not bad for us, but then it makes it impossible
for us to offer our code as open source -- we want to do both open source
for the open source community, but know that we have to offer commercial
licenses to our business customers who demand that their systems be allowed
to be proprietary.