Open eSignForms wrote:
> If you need the widgets now, SmartGWT seems like a fine solution, and
> the LGPL is a nice license if you don't otherwise need their
> server-side/enterprise features.

IANAL, but I will not touch any LGPL library for use in my GWT apps.

I believe LGPL is written in such a way as to ensure that the library
can be replaced by an end user. With GWT, that's only possible with the
source code. My understanding of the way LGPL is written when applied to
GWT apps is that you must distribute source code to be compliant.

This may not be (and probably isn't) the intention of SmartGWT,
gwt-mosaic and others, but it's enough to make me steer clear of LGPL
GWT libraries (or pay to use a commercial licence).

It seems I'm not the only one to think this way:
http://pocketdope.blogspot.com/2008/02/why-you-shouldnt-use-lgpl-for-gwt.html

I'd love to find out I've got this wrong.

Paul