Well, I'm not a lawyer either, but I assume you are referencing the clause
in Section 4 about combined works (the app you develop that uses GWT plus
some LGPL GWT library):

"You may convey a Combined Work under terms of your choice that, taken
together, effectively do not restrict modification of the portions of the
Library contained in the Combined Work..."

and

"Convey the Minimal Corresponding Source under the terms of this License,
and the Corresponding Application Code in a form suitable for, and under
terms that permit, the user to recombine or relink the Application with a
modified version of the Linked Version to produce a modified Combined Work,
in the manner specified by section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying
Corresponding Source."

So I'd guess you have a point as the minimal code required to allow it to be
recombined would be all of your GWT client code.

Got me!  Maybe that's why vaadin and GWT chose the Apache License V2.  And
it is interesting that the now obsolete gwt ext license (
http://gwt-ext.com/license/) suggests that combining the code at the java
level is where "dynamic linking" takes place and should not be a concern.

SmartGWT LGPL as you point out doesn't have any such clause.  You'd
certainly want "waiver language" like gwt-ext's license if you use it in a
commercial setting.  While you'd probably win the "reasonable" argument that
your code simply called the library's interface and should be treated the
same as if "normal java" code called those same library interfaces (and not
suffer just because of the GWT compiler's translation to javascript).  But
lawsuits are expensive, so if you were successful, you'd certainly make a
tempting target.