I tried the alternative to ContextLoadListener, which is
ContextLoadServlet and it still fails just the same, but with a
slightly longer stack trace:

Starting Jetty on port 8888
   [WARN] EXCEPTION
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderServlet
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:
352)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:
337)
        at org.mortbay.util.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:91)
        at org.mortbay.util.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:71)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Holder.doStart(Holder.java:73)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:
233)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:
616)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:
1220)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:
513)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:
448)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher
$WebAppContextWithReload.doStart(JettyLauncher.java:447)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:
130)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.doStart(RequestLogHandler.java:
115)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:
130)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:222)
        at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start(JettyLauncher.java:
543)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:421)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1035)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:783)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:275)
   [WARN] failed context
javax.servlet.UnavailableException:
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderServlet
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Holder.doStart(Holder.java:79)
[...]
   [WARN] Failed startup of context
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher
$webappcontextwithrel...@1016632{/,J:\Programming\GWT\cabs1\war}