Response from GWT RPC is asynchronous. Asynchrony (condition of being
asynchronous), is a desirable form of communication between browser
and server because it allows avoiding your web page from becoming
unresponsive while waiting for the response from the server.

Therefore, you have to take steps to synchronize or ensure sequence
integrity by either
- rewriting your server-side to manage sequencing
- or setting up a buffer on your client-side
- or a combination of both.

If the request sequence from the browser is cell5-cell10-cell2, you
could ensure that the server side would not send the response in the
sequence cell2-cell5-cell10 but in the sequence cell5-cell10-cell2.
You also need to manage the time-outs. What if cell5 request is very
complex calculation requiring the server 5 minutes to complete,
whereas cell2 and cell10 requires only milliseconds?

I am also curious why you would not let cell2 be displayed first while
waiting for cell5, even though cell2 was requested last? If there is a
dependency cell2 has on cell5, then that dependency should be resolved
at the server side as much as possible. If there is no dependency, I
don't see any good reason not to display it first. You could disable
it from being edited while waiting for cell5.

If you do not wish write code for all this complexity, you should
abandon php code on the server side and use for example Vaadin
(vaadin.com) to manage it for you. I know there are other session-
managed framework for ajax but I find that vaadin is the most robust
and closest to GWT. I am sure that must be session-managed php
frameworks somewhere out there, too, but I am unfamiliar with php to
make any recommendations.