I use both. My goal is to be IE8+ compliant, so many problems go away.
Then, for others, I use GWT to avoid writing CSS hacks.

Be aware that Panels are for Quirks Mode and Layout are for Compliant/
Standard Mode. In the first mode, browser have many differences, which
Panels try to correct. In the second mode, there are, for recent
browser, less differences. I always write my pages as XHTML (strict if
possible) so I don't need many GWT complex component.

Finally, for website, I never use Panels like Stack, Dock... because
its not for website, it's for app. That the reason there must be
replaced by there Layout counterparts.

Olivier