@Stefan: I know the term sucks, but it was the best I could come up
with ;-) As you concluded my main goal is to have browser scrollbar
scrolling and not the "inner scrolling" (lots of individual scrollbars
inside the containers itself, an example for this is google wave).

So in your words "(...) you have to allow the parents to grow with its
child. "  That's exactly the behavior of the old panels. I'm not
really clear on how we could emulate this on the new panels (all my
attempts so far failed).

To make a simple example: I have a DockLayoutPanel and somewhere a
button. There is a FlowPanel in the center. Clicking on that button
adds a label to the center panel. Repeatedly clicking that button
fills the center panel and at some point additional labels are not
displayed anymore (simulates the dynamic content). This is as you
wrote because of the overflow:hidden/auto which is set on the
DockPanel - in the LayoutPanels in general - (and is IMPOSSIBLE to
override by the programmer - at least I didn't succeed). If I add a
scrollPanel to the center as parent of the FlowPanel I get said "inner
scrolling" But what I would like to have is that the DockLayoutPanel
itself grows (vertically) which forces the browser to display
scrollbars.

I uploaded the (very simple) demo project here (Just import in eclipse
and run): http://drop.io/gwt_dock_panel

It would be really great if you could share how to achieve the
behavior described above.

thanks,
Dennis