To keep the code clean and cohesive, I suggest you should consider
developing your app with MVP pattern (consider using
gwt-platform<http://code.google.com/p/gwt-platform/>).
For a summary of different optimizations you could apply, watch some of the
Google I/O 2010 GWT sessions by Ray Ryan and Ray Cromwell.

Nabeel