The missing class is:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/json/JSONException

It confused me that it was an exception class. Made me think the
exception was reporting the missing class instead of it being the
missing class.

No, I didn't have the json jar in the class path but adding it hasn't
helped. But I'm uncertain I the classpath setup properly.

I'm running Windows so set a global environment variable pointing to
where to the json jar file.

I'm using Eclipse so I included the json jar in the build path. Is
that necesary or appropriate?

Is the json jar class path needed for the Jetty web server to find it?
Is it a jar that would be in the GAE server, i.e. doesn't have to be
included in my project upload?

Or am I totally lost?

My main background is C++ with some dabbling in Java a few years ago.
I switched to Java and Eclipse for Android development and now trying
to absorb it all for GWT/GAE. As a result I get pretty deep into some
aspects of all this and then some "obvious" Java/Eclipse piece trips
me.

Thanks,
Rud K5RUD