I must confess I never actually tested the setWidgetVisible part of the code
(in a prototype, I had a DockLayerPanel and used remove/add, without a
containing SimplePanel-like widget, for a similar effect).
Étienne Pelletier said in the comments that it indeed doesn't work as
expected (and re-reading the Javadoc, he must be right) and you should use
setWidgetSize (if you're using a DockLayoutPanel; if you're using a
LayoutPanel, I guess calling setWidgetLeftWidget, or similar depending on
your needs, should do the trick).
http://tbroyer.posterous.com/gwt-21-activities-nesting-yagni#comment_6075462

I never took the time to fix the article because I haven't yet tested any
alternate code…

HTH