There are many ways to implement logins, depending on the server side you
use.

If you use servlets then the servlet spec will guide you:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/pr/jsr315/index.html

Look at <login-config/>, <auth-method/>, <realm-name/>,
<security-role/>, <security-role/> tag description

Once web.xml is configured, you need to configure your realm.  This part is
server-specific.

If you use Jetty 6.1.x (the version embedded into GWT distribution), then
look at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext's securityHandler, which is
configured in jetty-web.xml.
If you want to use JAAS for authentication and authorization,
configure securityHandler with org.mortbay.jetty.plus.jaas.JAASUserRealm.

JAASUserRealm itself requires module configuration.  If you want to use a
datastore to keep user credentials, then conigure the module
with org.mortbay.jetty.plus.jaas.spi.DataSourceLoginModule.

Other servers (including GAE) have their own settings, I'm just afraid I'm
getting too specific here...