For an old version of WIndows like that, the two ways to fix it are to
either upgrade to Windows Vista/7 or upgrade IE to the latest.

Under Window Vista/7 we can use WebKit to render the GWT widgets, but
that is not an option under XP.

On any system that we can't use WebKit, we use the OS default browser
which happens to be IE under WIndows, Mozilla under Linux and Safari
under OSX.

Unfortunately, IE 6 does not render those new standard mode widgets
correctly.