On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In such a scenario, you'll generally have a "session" maintained by the
> server through a cookie, which will be enough (yes, cookies are not that
> secure, but still deemed secure enough that everyone from Google to
> Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, Yahoo!, etc. use them).

I respectfully disagree, Thomas, and think your advice on this is ill
served. In addition I believe that there are those at all the companies that
you mentioned who would take issue with your opinion. Values from cookies
that are explicitly maintained on the client and which are transported to
the server as part of an RPC's  payload can be trusted but values which come
directly from HTTPRequest's cookies aren't trustworthy. That's a fact. Leave
one little hole open and some malcontent with a half a brain is going to
take advantage of it and hijack your session. It's such an easy prevention
to implement that one would have to be foolish to not take advantage of it.

--
*Jeff Schwartz*
http://jefftschwartz.appspot.com/