If you use GWT-RPC and JPA (with Hibernate provider) you will have
serialization
problems<http://code.google.com/intl/es/webtoolkit/articles/using_gwt_with_hibernate.html>.
To solution this, you have this alternatives:

1) Use DTO
2) Use Gilead
3) Use a
Filter<http://books.google.com/books?id=OG816JSZYVcC&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=hibernate+filter+gwt&source=bl&ots=BM1BDJyWl9&sig=Q18Zdh2kOVQmWu2n8L4IpGs-uIo&hl=es&ei=VxIfTtrhMsOCgAeY_oyYAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=hibernate%20filter%20gwt&f=false>.
You can read this
<http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit-contributors/msg/b3ccc61d4eebd21c>too
and
here<http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/7e46e8c33e7ee5da>you
have a sample implementation with GWT 2.3.0.

With RF you will no have this problem and is efficient. But as you said, is
oriented to data services and (to me) is more complicated. GWT-RPC is more
general and you will write less code.

Hope helps to decide.