In my example this is caught by the following in
SingleSelectionManager, which traps setting the selected value to be
itself -
http://code.google.com/codesearch#T04cSGC7sWI/trunk/user/src/com/google/gwt/view/client/SingleSelectionModel.java&q=abstractselectionmodel%20package:http://google-web-toolkit%5C.googlecode%5C.com&l=106

However, Jens raises a very good point about the potential downside of
this approach.

Chris