It still seems like an extra "event" at the very least. User selects, which
fires selection change, which fires new place, which then "reselects" the
item (the loop ends here since there no selection change would be fired
given that the item is already selected).

BUT, in the case of history movement (back/forward), new place is
requested, place change is fired, which selects item, which fires
selectionchange, which then again goes to new place.

How would you not get an extra item on the history stack with this approach?