This worked out fine. However, the obvious issue is that it's pretty hard
to have anything done in your app BEFORE that initial PlaceChangeEvent
(say, if you directly go to a specific place via the URL) gets fired.

My solution was to write the same logic in both a placeChangeHandler and on
initialization of the menu to select an item.

Thanks for the help.