The way I do it in my date/time textbox (which is more like Jens'
suggestion, one textbox for date and time) it to just allow the user to
type any numeric values in there and I evaluate every keydown and examine
the context which the number is being entered.  ie. does entering a 3 after
the 9 in 9:30 make sense?  No.  Disallow.  etc.  Then evaluate the full
string on focus lost if you're implementing value change handlers. It does
lead to a bit of validation code and some pains handling highlighted text
and key value differences between browsers, but, in my mind, it's a better
user experience.

Really though, it's your widgets and your call how you want them to
function.