Daniel,

I was at Google I/O last week and decided ask for myself.. the responses I
got, was NOT good
I flat out asked one Googler, working a developer "bar" in the main lobby
 (not sure what team he was on)
"..should I continue my project that's not yet released, in GWT or what..?"
and he appeared to be reluctant
to say...suggesting that something was up! he then went on to say he would
change it to DART as it
is not yet a complete standard.... So then I asked "..what about
JSP/Appengine or Python?"  and with a big Grin
on if face he shuck his head affirmatively violently ... as if to say
he doesn't want it to be said that "he told me so"

right now we need some GWT folks to step up and say something definitive!!!
 this "rumor" has been going around for
a while now.. and there were no Sessions on GWT at the IO2012 other than
Porting GWT to DART !!!

I went to a session on Appengine /REST and a a question was asked at the
end of the session regarding
REST and GWT the answer was also suspect...

I think this link will take you to the session ..forward to the end...
 https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/gooio2012/121/