I understand that browser plugins are problematic.  I wouldn't want to
be responsible for building a new plugin for each week's Firefox
release.  (Obviously, I'm joking.)

But debuggers in current Java IDEs are very robust and full-featured.
 Every Javascript debugger in every browser that I've ever tried has
been inadequate in comparison.

Hopefully regular dev mode will live on for long enough for JS
debuggers to improve significantly, though I fear that will take a
long time.

Count me among those who will miss the useful features of the existing
dev mode when it goes away.