Google is an incubator.  They throw a lot of "darts" at the wall to see
what sticks (pun intended).  When you have 10 irons in the fire, one or 2
of them are bound to glow hot.

There's no reason to believe that Dart will win over GWT in the next 2-3
years if you're building something of modest complexity.  My company
(onlyinsight.com) is a start-up.  We use wordpress for our main site (so
basically PHP) which is super-simple (5-10 pages).  For our first big real
product, with half a million lines of code, we're using GWT (and wouldn't
consider Ruby/PHP).  Ruby/Rails/PHP to me is like a chainsaw - it's
super-easy to cut down trees with, but it's just as easy to cut your arm
off.  You don't want a million lines of a scripting language.

Ryan