Hello
It sounds like there's something going wrong in pcnet32_probe().
Please build a gPXE image with debugging for the pcnet32 driver and
serial console support enabled.
To enable the serial console, edit 'src/config/console.h' and remove
the '//' in front of '//#define CONSOLE_SERIAL', thus making the line
'#define        CONSOLE_SERIAL'.
Then build gPXE with the following line:

make bin/pcnet32.dsk DEBUG=pcnet32

(adjust 'bin/pcnet32.dsk' according to your needs).

In virtualbox you can configure a serial port that redirects the
output to a file. Please let us know the contents of said file. This
should give us an idea where the driver gets stuck.

--
Thanks for reporting
Thomas