Hello Gilles
pcnet32_probe() fails at the next possible opportunity after the NIC
reset. As Piotr already pointed out, there is a fix for the reset
routine in git mainline which is likely to resolve your problem.
gPXE mainline is usually very stable and it should be fine to use the
git version instead of a stable release without worries.

Please let us know how it goes

--
Thomas