Hi,

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:04:46 +0100, Oliver Rath wrote:
The rom-o-matic images are only sensefull for creating binaries, which
can be burned into the boot rom of your nic.

looking on [1], I get images for floppy, cd-rom, usb stick, chainloadable stuff as well as ROM-images. Actually, I used a boot a thin client setup by booting either a floppy or a cdrom so I would not need to flash my flashless network cards. Thanks to rom-o-matic, I could just download the required image. Also gpxe is just more powerfull than the vendor pxes my consumer cards, for example it can download images using http or easily chainload gpxe scripts - so even chainloading could make sense (look at boot.kernel.org).

I have tried to write some images generated by ROM-o-matic.net (.dsk
.sdsk .iso .liso .usb ) using cat image > hdd but none seems to boot

You could try grub + the lkrn image. Which enables you to play using PXE while still being able to boot a locally installed linux or a locally installed memtest+. On could also generate different lkrn images with different preset gpxe scripts which then can be selected in grub - just in case somebody is more familar with grub for menus.
The USB Image should work using dd if=image of=hdd.

I'm not sure if the rom-o-matic images require 686 - 2008 they were not.

Regards,
 M. Braun
--
[1] http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-git/gpxe.git/contrib/rom-o-matic/