Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi Felix,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Felix Schalck<felix.scha...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. DEM resolution:
$gdalinfo srtm_38_03.tif
Pixel Size = (0.000833333333333,-0.000833333333333)
2. Region settings:
$g.region -p
nsres:      0:00:03
ewres:      0:00:03

which corresponds to:

g.region -g
nsres=0.000833333333333331
ewres=0.000833333333333333

That should be fine, but...

If I interpret those numbers correctly, the region is set to the
theoretical max. resolution. Again, since I basically did not touch
the configs during the upgrade procedure (GRASS 6.23>6.4RC5) I thought
to myself it might just be a configuration change of the default
driver used by d.rast: in the old version, it took forever to load,
but the level of details SEEMED much higher, now it loads quasi
instantly, but looks 'soappy'. What changed ?

(nothing should have changed)

... did you use d.erase to tell the GRASS monitor about the high
resolution? The technology behind all is still the same in 6.4.
Markus

d.erase ? Not at all...

I'm really sorry I have no screenshot to show you the difference - since now, when starting 6.23, I'm getting the same high speed-low-res-display. Nonetheless, the loading time alone is a good change-marker, proving that, at least on my machine, something is different now. I'm going to check out the default Ubuntu .deb configuration of GRASS 6.23, and look if something is missing in my own compilation of 6.4.

In the end, perhaps something was broken in the old version (it took really forever to load even one cgiar srtm tile alone) which has been fixed now !

Thank you very much for your patience,

Felix