I just tried the version I have available for download (I had a couple newer builds on my Mac, so my tests may not have been correct). NVIZ and v.digit both run fine on Leopard.

Given the weird configure error you had, and this other weird "forking" error, there is very likely something wrong in your system configuration. I wonder, do you have Fink or MacPorts installed? Sometimes utilities installed in their "worlds" will get used instead of system versions, and their behaviour could be different than expected.