No idea what happened but I'll reset the VM and start fresh. So on a fresh
Debian 8 install:

Partially followed these instructions too although they are for v 1.x
=>
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-graylog-1-x-on-ubuntu-14-04

as the original instructions don't cover that
much:
http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.0/pages/installation/operating_system_packages.html

It seems to work but cannot log in via web, getting:
*Server currently unavailable. We are experiencing problems connecting to
the Graylog server running on http://127.0.0.1:12900//. Please verify that
the server is healthy and working correctly.*
Which doesn't make sense to me as I cannot find any errors in the logs.

In addition to that I can't seem to move graylog web interface off port
9000, I'd like it to run on port 80 so I tried:
editing /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
# Web interface listen URI
web_listen_uri = http://edgar.ict-consult.co.za/
web_listen_uri = http://edgar.ict-consult.co.za:80/
without result. Obviously I restarted the graylog-server yet the web
interface seems to continue running on port 9000

Any ideas?