reforms will satisfy us with limited adjustments and interpretation will
lead us to multiple narratives.  the attempts to (re)claim new spaces in
islam are not 'intellectual' as such. they are from the down.
-- a group of hijaras from bhopal performed hajj this year with passionate/
spiritiual islamic urges
-- a woman openly declared herself single mother (extra-marital) came to do
hajj this time with her child--
--as aftab said, even in india muslim woman came forward to build mosque for
women--

modern, etheist and secular fancies are no longer the toys for muslims who
have unstoppable urge to pray. they have to redefine and reclaim new spaces
in islam.

On 5/6/08, Afthab Ellath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree with you ... The phrasing of  reform is a wrong way of
> understanding the recent struggles in Islam for claiming space...
>
> 2) The works of Islamist theorists like Maududi and Said Qutub,  the
> ideological framework that led to formation of the Islamic state of Iran ,
> the Taliban regime etc,  and recent armed political struggles in many
> Islamic countries, the attempt is to define a structural alternative to
> Western liberalism and Marxism... This is something common in the mainstream
> Islamic thought... Islam is proposed as the solution to all the problems...
> I don't think it is as easy to gain political power(I mean government
> power), with evangelical Christianity or Hindu revivalism as  with  Islamism
>

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:05 PM, damodar prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Aftab,
>>
>> I have a deep suspicicon about the idea of 'reform' no matter whether it
>> happens from within or outside. By phrasing the ongoing dilaogues,
>> intercactions, struggles, stunts or fights or whatever as 'reform' is in
>> effect borrowing the idea of 'reformation' of a primitive order as being
>> popularized in several 'civilizing' discourses. (By Reform, as I understand,
>>  is an  intentional act to liberalize a highly regulated order and this
>> regulation is done based on several constituent principles). When u say
>> 'reforms' u r also unknowingly accpeting the notions of 'moderate'&
>> 'extermist' islam. I think all these are nothing new.
>>
>> 2) I really didn't understand what u intended by "traditional islam" is
>> another "grand narrative". (Grand narrative as used in explaining "marxism")
>>

>>  On 5/6/08, Afthab Ellath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Salim,
>>> I think Traditional Islam is another grant narrative, placed against the
>>> enlightment ideals  that we have seen strengthening in the post marxist era
>>> ...  Islam that we know is deeply rooted in th Arab culture as well...  The
>>> very existence of the autocratic regimes in the Arab world (note the
>>> existence of more democratic governments in non-arab Islamic countries) has
>>> also to be problemized in this context... It is much more deeper than the
>>> macro power structures...It is deeply embeded in  the believe system...
>>>  Whether it is Saddam or Musharraf, the attempts made were to find solutions
>>> from the modern/secularist ideals... When Musharaff tried to revoke some
>>> provisions from the monstrous anti-blasphamy laws in 2004, there were big
>>> resistence and he had to revoke them...
>>>
>>> There are some recent attempts to re-interpret Islam from other
>>> prespectives(mini narratives0.. Obviously one of them is the feminist
>>> reading... Works of Amina Wadud, Fatema Mernissi, Asra Nomani, Leila Ahmed