I don't know the reasons for Samir Amin to equate communitarian politics in
general as another form of neo-liberal theocratic attempt... Probably it is
another Marxist reductionism... I might agree with him a little bit in that
this is likely to happen when and where Islam is the dominant discourse. But
it can have an entirely different meaning in societies like India where it
is in fight with other dominant discourses….

I have problems in generalizing Islamic politics as communitarian
irrespective of space and time… We have seen its role changing from
communitarian to conservative and autocratic forms in Muslim dominated
societies… Compare its role in Iran in pre-revolution period with that in
post revolution period… See how it raises the Sunni discourse In Iran and
Iraq and Shiite one in Sunni dominated rest of the world… Sunni Islamic
politics is dangerously hegemonic in Pakistan similar to Hindutwa in
India…There I don't think it can be considered as communitarian. I would
like to call it as conservative rather…

In India Islamic Politics raises the minority question for equal
citizenship… Again I won't generalize it… I have entirely different opinions
regarding political ideologies of Indian Jama'at –e –Islami and the likes…
They were not identifying it as a minority discourse at all… Of course there
is some change in stance after Babri Masjid demolition and recently after
Gujarat riots…Even in this relatively subordinate role there are multiple
discourses struggling within it for claiming space. We have to problemise
Islamic politics with all these differences.